2004 Yearly SABER Operations Overview
2004 Data Collection
SABER became operational on January 8, 2002, and remained in Data Collection (DC) mode during 2004 except for the periods noted below.
- January 24 - Produced one up/down scan pair at calibration scan speed to characterize noise difference between up and down scans.
- March 1-2 - 6 Lunar Observations
- 1 Mar 19:39 - First Moonlook
- 2 Mar 03:54 - Last Moonlook
- March 16-18 - Cooler Power Cycle
- 16 Mar 16:39 - Command sent to turn off the adaptive scan and cryo-cooler.
- 17 Mar 15:18 - Command sent to turn the cryco-cooler back on and set the temperature to 74K.
- 18 Mar 15:35 - Command sent to re-enable adaptive scan and restart nominal DC
- March 19 - Produced one half orbit of Calibration Slew Earth to Space scans to characterize the "detector memory" effect.
- September 15-21 - TIMED G&C (Guidance & Control) Testing with Cooler Power Cycle. The new G&C software will support no-gyro (star tracker only) operation.
- 15 Sep 17:18 - Command sent to turn off the adaptive scan and cryo-cooler.
- 16 Sep 17:30 - TIMED demoted to SAFE. SABER standby (Sun Pointing SAFE Hold)
- 20 Sep 17:06 - Command sent to turn the cryco-cooler back on and set the temperature to 74K.
- 21 Sep 17:21 - TIMED promoted to NADIR. Command sent to re-enable adaptive scan and restart nominal DC
- September 29 - October 1 - TIMED G&C Testing
- 29 Sep 14:40 - TIMED demoted to SAFE. SABER standby (Sun Pointing SAFE Hold)
- 01 Oct 15:16 - TIMED promoted to NADIR. SABER returns to DC.
Click here for a list of each command sent in 2004 along with a short description of that command's purpose.
2004 Operational Changes
Operational changes made to SABER in 2004 are noted below:
- No operational changes were made to SABER during 2004
Trended parameters are divided into three sections:
- Housekeeping - plotted parameters directly related to health and monitoring
- Responsivity - responsivity levels plotted for channels 1-10
- Scan Mirror - plot of scan mirror behavior for 2004
The plot below shows the dates of TIMED Yaws, and the latitudes between which SABER observed during those Yaws
The small picture below shows the orientation of SABER on TIMED, and the latitudes observed in +X and -X travel
The breakdown of commands sent to SABER in 2004 is as follows:
For a list of each command sent in 2004 along with a short description of that command's purpose,
2004 Limit Violations
During the year of 2004, there were no reported Red limit violations.